You may not know but it is not just Canada, Baja California or Peninsula Valdez which qualifies for superb whale watching.
The Club « Les Plus Belles Baies du Monde » included Praia do Rosa Beach, in Southern Brazil in its list of 28 chosen beaches, because of its natural beauty, conservation awareness and the APA, Environment Protected Area, of the Southern Right Whales (Franca) Eubalaena australis. During July-October the well over 40 tons heavy whales come here from the southern polar regions, hence their name, to give birth and to rise their off-spring in the protected waters of the Santa Catarina coastline.When the last SRW was killed in 1973 at Imbituba whale station the species was nearly extinct. Brazil, being signatary of the Whale Protection Act, has managed to increase again the population of both SWR and Hunchback Whales.
This package consist of an unusual combination of 5 days of whale watching and other activities. The Praia do Rosa and other nearby beaches are among the finest in Brazil and offer also pleasant beach riding, surfing and kite surfing. A side trip to the historic village of Laguna is included. Among other historic events in the earlier times of the colonization, the Italian freedom fighter Guiseppe Garibaldi, married to Anita Garibaldi, lived and fought here.The house where they lived together is open for visitation. Laguna also features one of the rarest spectacles on earth: the mullet fishing with the « assistance » of dolphins.
Intro on Southern Right Whales (Franca) in Southern Brazil, delivered by the IBF Institute of Franca whalesTransfer to Praia do Rosa BeachThe itinerary includes:
- daily outings for whale watching and photo safari on beaches between Imbituba, Praia do Rosa and Garobapa aboard state of the art rubber rafts
- Land excursions on 4×4 wheel drive to watch whales from Siriú and Gamboa beaches
- Dune riding
- Land excursion to the historic town of Laguna to watch mullet fishing with the « assistance » of dolphins, unique in the word
You will stay comfortably in our resort that features tastefully decorated beach front bungalows, swimming pool and all modern amenities embedded in a charming atmosphere. There are good restaurants and bars in the Rosa, specially during the season, but also the food of your Hotel is very recommendable. The terrace offers a splendid view over the ocean.
- Transfers in/out
- 4 overnights/breakfast, sgl/dbl room occupancy, at the Vida Sol e Mar Resort, ocean view appartments
- activities as per itinerary
Other optional activities
- Excellent wind- and kite surf on the Ibiraquera lagoon and on the shore line
- Surfers consider the beaches of Rosa, Imbituba and Garopaba the best in Brazil with Imbituba even hosting the WCT
- Surfing classes are offered at the Resort Vida Sol e Mar
Please note that the itinerary depends on prevailing weather conditions and must therefore be kept flexible. The flexible people around Europe